Thursday 26 September 2013

Thoughts on sewing and weight change

c75f982c094ab7157bae39ceae680aea

Firstly, can I just send out a massive ‘thank you’ to all the wonderful people who left such lovely comments on the post on my wedding reception dress – they made my day/week/month!

Secondly, how awesome are those Christian Louboutin tape measure shoes, in a kind of OTT-I’m-a-little-too-obsessed-with-sewing kind of way…

OK, now onto the topic of this post!

415f19d98c1a82b82b191c85da486efe

So, I’ve been back from my honeymoon for about two months now…and while I have actually been doing a little bit of sewing, to be honest, my heart is not in it. You see, I think I may be the first bride in the history of weddings who actually put ON weight before her wedding! In fact, I’ll let you in on a little secret. When I came back from my honeymoon I had to go out and buy some new clothes to wear to work that would hide my belly for fear that I would start a rumour that I was pregnant – yes honestly, I had developed a little pot that looked like a bit of a baby bump!!!

Actually, I’ve noticed that since I’ve hit my 30’s it’s not as easy staying in shape as it used to be (yes, we’ve all heard that before – well I can confirm that it is true!), and also…living in a happy stable relationship (not complaining) has also been bad for my waistline.

Because of that, i haven’t really sewn as much as I used to. I keep looking through all my lovely fabric and daydreaming about what I’m going to turn it into (come on, I know you do it too!), and then I’ll fold it up and put it away, saying that I’ll make that dress/skirt/top when I’m back to my old weight. But I’ve been doing that for over a year now – it’s not good!

Now I know I’m not overweight, so please don’t be giving off to me about complaining about my size. But I think it’s all relative to what you are used to. I’m not overweight, but I am bigger than I used to be. My clothes tell me so. For example – you may remember my pink scallop skirt:

outfits 012

In the blog post I mentioned that it actually ended up being slightly too big and didn’t sit at my waist. I thought about unpicking it and taking it in, but I didn’t (see, I told you I don’t like doing alterations!). Well, it turned out to be a good thing that I didn’t take it in as it now fits my waist perfectly…and it’s perhaps a wee bit tight on the thighs!

So what do you think would be the best approach? Hold off on sewing clothes and focus whole-heartedly at getting back to my old weight/size, or just start cutting into that gorgeous fabric and use it already? I don’t know! I’m inclined to lean towards the first approach. I don’t like doing alterations, so if I make clothes for my current size I’m going to be left with some lovely homemade clothes that later on won’t fit me, and I’ll never get around to taking in. I find that thought such a shame because ideally I like to think that what I make will be in my wardrobe rotation for as long as possible – classic pieces so to speak. And plus, if my mind is of the opinion that I WILL loose the weight, then I’m not as inclined to put so much effort into my makes, if I know I won’t get an awful lot of use out of them, and then that partly defeats another reason I make clothes – to make something beautiful that I’m proud of!

What are your thoughts on this?

Related Posts with Thumbnails